Gel Electrophoresis

Posted on

Gel Electrophoresis of Sunday’s PCR Product (Tues 02.28.17)

Today we ran two gels to see what we got from Sunday’s PCR. Because we had limited time Emily Chen and I can two gels. Our sample names are based on the PCR tubes.

Made 1.5% Agarose gels (3g agarose in 200ml 1x TAE)

Add SYBRsafe to gels.

  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
A     x x x x x x x      
B                        
C     x x x x x x x x x  
D                        
E                        
F                        
G                        
H                        

 

I (Regina 🙂 ran a small gel with A3-A9. Emily Chen ran the larger gel with C3-C11.

We used a NEB Ready-load 100bp ladder and a Qiagen sample loading buffer. Thank-you to Riti for making the gel sheets to help with recording. (Being an idiot I forgot to log my run time. It was ~30min.)

Results

I was able to get faint smearing bands for A3-A9. The different between these samples was the annealing temperatures. The wells for this gel were very large for a small gel. I think this might be why the bands are not very crisp; however the ladder turned out great.

Emily’s gel (C3-C11) contained no bands except for the ladder (no picture). Thus primer set 3 might be the problem.

A3-A9 RW (02.28.2017)